Ian Oakley sounds like he should have been a fairly bright, if somewhat dull, person. His picture makes him look pretty dull too. In fact he sounds like he should have been very dull:
- Went to Durham University - yep, dull, although we'll give him some credit for taking History
- Regulator at the FSA - dull to the max
- Founding Chairman of Monmouth Conservative Future - sounds dull, whatever it is
- Facebook friend of Chris Grayling, Grant Shapps and Louise Bagshawe (although his Facebook profile seems to have gone) - really big yawn
- Conservative candidate for Newport East in 2001 - fairly dull, managed to get ex-Tory Alan Howarth's majority for Labour under 10,000
- Councillor in Hillingdon - du.. well you get the idea
- Conservative parliamentary candidate for Watford
- Slashing car tyres
- Smashing lights on cars
- Making silent phone calls
- Sending poison pen letters
- Painting grafitti on an opponent's house calling him a "perv"
- Accused one of his opponents of being a child abuser
Oakley has been taken off the main Conservative party website, but his entry hasn't disappeared yet - you can still find it through the cache. The Watford Conservatives site also seems to have purged any mention of Oakley, but their banner proclaims "Cleaner. Greener. Safer." and it's a good point. Keep a close eye on the perps at all times and you should be a lot safer.
Daniel Finkelstein fesses up to his part in Oakley's selection and says that there "wasn't the smallest sign that he was, well, basically bonkers."